james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fe...@otego.com>
Subject New module for james maven skin
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:15:01 GMT
Hi all

I propose to put the maven-skin into an own module, e.g.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/skin/[trunk|tags|branches]. This
would make the ...james/project/... tree clea[n|r]er.
Furthermore I don't see the need to reference a james pom as parent -
there's not much benefit of doing so. We can reference directly to
apache as parent. This will also avoid to run into cycling dependencies
when including the skin in any James project and releasing skin may
become less complicated as it doesn't depends on any james(-SNAPSHOT ?)
poms and doesn't need to be released when releasing TLP pom.

I'd also like to rename it from maven-skin to either
- james-skin or
- apache-james-skin
- other suggestions
to make it more obvious it's a skin for the James project. My preferred
one is james-skin because
- apache will be in the groupId
- Many other projects [1] prefix the artifactId only using the project
name (e.g. lucene, openjpa, hadoop, camel, ...)

Sample can be seen @ [2]. I wonder if we should start with version 1.0
again (new artifact name), stay with 1.7 (which is still SNAPSHOT) or
switch to 2.0.

Feedback welcome.

If nobody disagrees I'll start creating the module next Sunday or Monday
(16/17th October).

Thanks and regards
Felix

[1] http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/