james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <eric.char...@u-mangate.com>
Subject Re: MailBox Manager Tests performance
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:03:58 GMT
For hbase, we need to reduce the number of minihbasecluster start/stop.

Each James independent tests suppose a clean persistent store, this is
why we need to start from scratch (easy for memory and file, takes more
time for other persistence technologies).

btw, this is also a topic on which the hbase project works for its own
tests (running a full test suite on hbase src takes hours, mainly due to
those numerous minihbasecluster start/stop).

Thx,
Eric

On 16/10/11 17:14, Manuel Carrasco Moñino wrote:
> Thanks Stefano
>
> I just run once each test.
>
> I know there is a overhead when running setup and teardown, what I do
> not know is if the test could be useful for performance, subtracting
> the setup/teardown times and looping it.
>
> - Manolo
>
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Stefano Bagnara<apache@bago.org>  wrote:
>> 2011/10/16 Manuel Carrasco Moñino<manolo@apache.org>:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is the Manager Test useful to measure performance?
>>>
>>> Testing the the couchdb implementation Pepijn is working on, I've
>>> released that some implementations takes a long to run the tests (see
>>> attached screenshot):
>>> InMemory 0.7s
>>> MailDir 2.4s
>>> JPA 6.0s
>>> JCR 21.1s
>>> CouchDB 40.4s
>>> HBase 81.8s
>>>
>>> JPA uses a ddbb in memory, CouchDB is not optimized at all, but Is
>>> there any reason why jcr and hbase takes so long?
>>
>> Don't know how you test this, but if you include startup and warmup
>> times then it is expected that more complex layers will take longer to
>> startup.
>> Maybe you should run the tests 1000 times or make sure you at least
>> run them twice and only measure timings for the second time (and
>> exclude startup times).
>>
>> Does this make sense?
>>
>> Stefano

Eric