james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn de Vos <pepijnde...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: NoSQL backend for James
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:44:04 GMT
Thanks a lot.

On Oct 10, 2011, at 8:24 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:

> Have patience. You will need it if you wish to complete something.
> Patience and perseverance or else you'll be just another one who
> tried.

I don't expect to have it finished by the end of the week, but if I'm still completely clueless
by then, it's just not worth the effort.
I don't have the ambition to become a James commiter or even a Java dev, I just thought it
would be nice to use CouchDB for my application.
Somewhere is a point where pragmatism beats learning. There isn't any technical reason why
I can't use JPA.

>> Can I just copy an existing one and rename stuff? In other words, how are the modules
glued into the whole? How does the server know which class to load? It's not in the pom.xml,
afaict.

> Not sure what you mean by that. It uses dependency injection provided
> by Spring framework (and soon Guice) to inject object references into
> other objects at runtime.

Ah, dependency injection. *googles* So just the fact that I implement the interface is enough
to @autowire it into James?

>> The sample config is gone btw: http://james.apache.org/server/3/config-mailbox.html
>> Do I inherit tests as well? I would imagine that a lot of tests are common to all
mailbox implementations.

> I think this is because the configuration changed and now it's spring
> based, and more modular. I see you are very ambitious but I sense you
> have a lot of catching up. James is complex so give it time, if you
> expect too much from yourself and fail you will probably be too
> disappointed.
Yea, I read a Java book long ago, never did any big projects with it.

> Make a public repo, commit something and ask if you get stuck. I will
> try to help when/if I can. I suggest you start with simple
> implementation that passes some unit tests.

So If I take any mailbox impl, put it in a separate repo, will it work? All sorts of things
refer to the parent pom. I'll put something on github once I figure it out. I think it'll
work out once I get to the point where I can write some code.

> See for example the unit tests I did for Mailbox interface in HBase
> implementation:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailbox/trunk/hbase/src/test/java/org/apache/james/mailbox/hbase/mail/model/HBaseMailboxTest.java
What I mean with inheriting tests is that these all look very generic. They look like they
could test any mailbox implementation.

Pepijn