james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Pepijn de Vos <pepijnde...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: NoSQL backend for James
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2011 09:41:55 GMT
Thanks! :)

I have no idea what you did with the generics though. I read an article about them, and thought
I understood them.

Basically they are just statically checked casts, right? So what does it mean to write X implements
Y<Z>?

The tests are just leftovers from InMemory. I'm not doing TDD, but I rather see tests as a
frozen REPL. I write code, test it in the REPL, if I find myself repeating pieces in the REPL,
I make them into a test. I didn't get to the stage where I could even compile anything.

Pepijn

On Oct 14, 2011, at 8:14 PM, Manuel Carrasco Moñino wrote:

> You are right, you already sent the github link.
>
> I've checked out the code and I've made some changes to make it
> compile, also I have changed id signature in messages and mailboxes to
> String since couchdb uses string. I have hardcoded a user and password
> in the Utils class, it should go in the configuration files though.
>
> I just have sent you a pull request
> https://github.com/manolo/james-couchdb/commit/2b6b0ebce5c78198b14d1e7ec05c178d56482919
>
> The unique Test in the tree do no pass, I think you can start fixing
> the test so as it should be easier to follow the code taking a look to
> tests.
>
> - Manolo
>

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Pepijn de Vos <pepijndevos@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I added the github link to the beautifully formatted original email, but I think
Google mistreated my message.

>> Her it is again: https://github.com/pepijndevos/james-couchdb
>>
>> Pepijn
>>
>> On Oct 13, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Manuel Carrasco Moñino wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Pepjin, could be possible to share your code anywhere, so as I
>>> could checkout it and take a look?
>>>
>>> Don't worry about if the code is ok or not, I think github could be
>>> ok, but you could send a compressed file via email or whatever you
>>> prefer.
>>>
>>> - Manolo

casting sugar which I don't grok. My IDE keeps complaining it can't resolve the incompatible
types, while both are just Mailboxes.
only one that's red wiggly lines, the others are just unchecked casts. I've been adding random
casts and <> left and right.

I don't understand the configuration. It does have a Spring module. Any pointers on how to
organize the config and connections?

weird things with regexes. Preferably I make that into a nice CouchDB view. CouchDB can't
do fulltext search. As far as I can tell, the IMAP RFC doesn't say anything about it.

else besides subclassing the corresponding *Manager class to return one?

that resembles the HTTP API, since I'm not familiar with JPA. Haven't decided yet.

another one who

week, but if I'm still completely clueless by then, it's just not worth the effort.
or even a Java dev, I just thought it would be nice to use CouchDB for my application.
There isn't any technical reason why I can't use JPA.

In other words, how are the modules glued into the whole? How does the server know which class
to load? It's not in the pom.xml, afaict.

that I implement the interface is enough to @autowire it into James?

a lot of tests are common to all mailbox implementations.

will it work? All sorts of things refer to the parent pom. I'll put something on github once
I figure it out. I think it'll work out once I get to the point where I can write some code.

interface in HBase
very generic. They look like they could test any mailbox implementation.