james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NoSQL backend for James
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:24:26 GMT
2011/10/10 Pepijn de Vos <pepijndevos@yahoo.com>:
> Thanks, helpful :) More questions!
>
> What is the modification sequence? (ModSeqProvider) This? http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4551

It's a way to see if the mailbox has been modified (flags changed, etc.).

> I guess the UID is just that of a message?

It's a number that uniquely identifies a message in a mailbox. the RFC
states it is 32 bits long.

> Do both need to be an increasing long? ( http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HttpGetUuids
)

> I'm soon going to start my implementation. I will force myself to have *something* by
the end of the week, or I'll just give up and use JPA.

Have patience. You will need it if you wish to complete something.
Patience and perseverance or else you'll be just another one who
tried.

> Can I just copy an existing one and rename stuff? In other words, how are the modules
glued into the whole? How does the server know which class to load? It's not in the pom.xml,
afaict.

Not sure what you mean by that. It uses dependency injection provided
by Spring framework (and soon Guice) to inject object references into
other objects at runtime.

> The sample config is gone btw: http://james.apache.org/server/3/config-mailbox.html
> Do I inherit tests as well? I would imagine that a lot of tests are common to all mailbox
implementations.

I think this is because the configuration changed and now it's spring
based, and more modular. I see you are very ambitious but I sense you
have a lot of catching up. James is complex so give it time, if you
expect too much from yourself and fail you will probably be too
disappointed.

Make a public repo, commit something and ask if you get stuck. I will
try to help when/if I can. I suggest you start with simple
implementation that passes some unit tests.

See for example the unit tests I did for Mailbox interface in HBase
implementation:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailbox/trunk/hbase/src/test/java/org/apache/james/mailbox/hbase/mail/model/HBaseMailboxTest.java

--
Ioan Eugen Stan