james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Manuel Carrasco Moñino <man...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NoSQL backend for James
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2011 14:23:46 GMT
On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Pepijn de Vos <pepijndevos@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So, the result and questions for today:
>
> https://github.com/pepijndevos/james-couchdb
>
> What is serialVersionUID?

It is a good practice to define it for serializable classes
http://www.javapractices.com/topic/TopicAction.do?Id=45

> Is UidValidity something else than what is provided by CouchDbUidProvider?

It's a number that changes when all uids become invalid. The server
cannot update this number during a session.
http://www.afterlogic.com/mailbee-net/docs/MailBee.ImapMail.Imap.UidValidity.html

> I had a look at the InMemory test, and it seems to fail on remainders of the InMemory
implementation(mentions of ConcurrentHashmap). I'm not sure what it tests, but I think it's
more than just CouchDbMailboxManager.

> Today I tried to implement ModSeq and Uid. They work fine until you introduce concurrency.
I'd be glad if someone would take a look at nextModSeq.

Your implementation looks good.

> I'll try to write a test for it tomorrow. The thing is that the test would need the database,
right? How do you handle that?

Difficult since it seems there is no way to install couchdb and start
it from maven.
Right now tests should be ignored when ddbb is not running (see
maildir tests which are omitted in windows systems)
I've added in the setup a call to empty the 'james' database when the
test run, also I have added  initStandardDesignDocument() to
initialize database.
Be careful before run the test if you do not want the ddbb be re-created.

Happy coding.
- Manolo

> Pepijn
>
> On Oct 15, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Pepijn de Vos wrote:
>
>> Thanks! :)
>>
>> I have no idea what you did with the generics though. I read an article about them,
and thought I understood them.

>> Basically they are just statically checked casts, right? So what does it mean to
write X implements Y<Z>?

>> The tests are just leftovers from InMemory. I'm not doing TDD, but I rather see tests
as a frozen REPL. I write code, test it in the REPL, if I find myself repeating pieces in
the REPL, I make them into a test. I didn't get to the stage where I could even compile anything.

>> Pepijn
>>
>> On Oct 14, 2011, at 8:14 PM, Manuel Carrasco Moñino wrote:
>>
>>> You are right, you already sent the github link.
>>>
>>> I've checked out the code and I've made some changes to make it
>>> compile, also I have changed id signature in messages and mailboxes to
>>> String since couchdb uses string. I have hardcoded a user and password
>>> in the Utils class, it should go in the configuration files though.
>>>
>>> I just have sent you a pull request
>>> https://github.com/manolo/james-couchdb/commit/2b6b0ebce5c78198b14d1e7ec05c178d56482919
>>>
>>> The unique Test in the tree do no pass, I think you can start fixing
>>> the test so as it should be easier to follow the code taking a look to
>>> tests.
>>>
>>> - Manolo

I think Google mistreated my message.

<type> casting sugar which I don't grok. My IDE keeps complaining it can't resolve the
incompatible types, while both are just Mailboxes.
is the only one that's red wiggly lines, the others are just unchecked casts. I've been adding
random casts and <> left and right.

that I don't understand the configuration. It does have a Spring module. Any pointers on how
to organize the config and connections?

to do weird things with regexes. Preferably I make that into a nice CouchDB view. CouchDB
can't do fulltext search. As far as I can tell, the IMAP RFC doesn't say anything about it.

else besides subclassing the corresponding *Manager class to return one?

something that resembles the HTTP API, since I'm not familiar with JPA. Haven't decided yet.

connect with couchdb?

wrote:

> [...]
to complete something.
be just another one who

of the week, but if I'm still completely clueless by then, it's just not worth the effort.
or even a Java dev, I just thought it would be nice to use CouchDB for my application.
There isn't any technical reason why I can't use JPA.

stuff? In other words, how are the modules glued into the whole? How does the server know
which class to load? It's not in the pom.xml, afaict.

object references into

fact that I implement the interface is enough to @autowire it into James?

that a lot of tests are common to all mailbox implementations.

changed and now it's spring
ambitious but I sense you
so give it time, if you
will probably be too
big projects with it.

ask if you get stuck. I will
start with simple

repo, will it work? All sorts of things refer to the parent pom. I'll put something on github
once I figure it out. I think it'll work out once I get to the point where I can write some
code.

Mailbox interface in HBase
all look very generic. They look like they could test any mailbox implementation.