james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Knecht <fel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NoSQL backend for James
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 17:10:31 GMT
On 10/31/2011 04:17 PM, Manuel Carrasco MoƱino wrote:
> Hello Pepijn
>
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Pepijn de Vos<pepijndevos@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I decided to stop working on the CouchDB backend. I'm sorry.
>
> Bad news, it was a good idea James supporting couchdb
>

>> There is something to be said for persisting and finishing, but I do not enjoy writing
it and I don't need it. I'm going to focus instead on what I set out to do, write a webmail
application. I will persist in that.

>> I learned that what I wanted to do is not a good design at all. I thought it would
be easy to write my webmail application on top of CouchDB and have James "fish from the same
pool". This would create a tight coupling between my app and James, and leaves me at the mercy
of future changes to the API.

>> Instead, I'll just write my app on top of IMAP, and in fact, I couldn't care less
how the mail server stores my email.

> Yeah, this is the approach  used by HUPA (the webmail of James), take
> a look to its architecture in this presentation:
> http://www.slideshare.net/dodotis/apache-jameshupa-gwt

Why not adding the presentation or its link to the hupa documentation?
We are lacking good documentation.

Regards
Felix