james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Brewin <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject Re: Notes on JAMES-1352 Commits
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2011 18:33:55 GMT
Hi Eric

A brief break between other duties, so here's a partial reply...

While looking at the code you will see that one of the interfaces
introduced in Util is RetrySchedule. The default implementation is
DoublingRetrySchedule which, as the JavaDocs explain, doubles the retry
rest period after each failed attempt up to a set limit.

This algorithm usually works well in the overload scenarios you
describe. If it doesn't, in my experience, the next algorithm to try is
one that randomizes the rest period within certain limits so that
retries from different sources don't coincide because they are following
the same algorithm in lock step.

Using an interface allows the algorithm to be changed. Placing this and
their implementations in Util allows other things to use them. For
instance, RemoteDelivery could do with some reworking should someone
feel up to the task :)

Cheers
--Steve