james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging library in our projects
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2011 14:22:52 GMT
On 31/12/11 15:03, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> but didn't know where to go..., this is the reason for this thread :)
>> Maybe you have a third option in mind such as having two completely
>> separated logging mechanism when running protocols in server?
>
> IMO we should go with #1 (using a private Logger interface and then
> use an adapter to slf4j).

Hi Stefano,
I am more in favor of #2 to keep things simple.
For which reason do you prefer #1?

> I also think that an slf4j adapter could be provided direclty in the
> protocols project and used as an optional dependency (so you don't
> have to write the adapter in every project).
> The "right" approach would be to have a protocols module with the
> slf4j adapter, but IMO a module for a single class is too much, so
> maybe we can simply put the adapter in the netty module or in the api
> module and then declare the slf4j dependency as optional, so that
> users of the library will decide if they want to use the slf4j logger
> or instead provide their own implementation.

Yes, it would be crazy to ask to all our library users to reimplement
that adapter.

To open the discussion more, I already saw (don't remember which ones)
needs for a "james-common" that could be useful to all our projects.
Some logging, streaming,... classes could perfectly fit there.

> I'm not sure if this plays well with OSGi.

No idea... but I don't see why it couldn't