james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging library in our projects
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 07:56:25 GMT
Thx for the discussion Stefano.
(see my comments in line).

As Norman, I will look to the Monitor usage in mime4j and we could try
to go that way with a Slf4jLoggerAdapter provided in protocols-api (btw,
this will have as consequence to re-add the dependency to slf4j in
protocols-api's pom).

Eric

On 02/01/12 01:10, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> 2012/1/1 Eric Charles<eric@apache.org>:
>> "Better Java Development with AspectJ" (I think the ppt is no more online)
>> from PARC clearly points the logging as a perfect candidate to aspect
>> programming.
>
> I saw logging always as a case in AOP books, but I never really saw a
> real project using AOP for logging, so I can't tell if it works fine
> or not. IMO most logging happens inside methods and not
> before/after/around so I don't expect AOP to solve the logging
> problem, but I'd be happy to learn I'm wrong here.

Same here.

>> A bunch of classes that can be reused in one than one use case.
>> Why distinguish IO vs non-IO ?
>
> I'm used to do this. IO is a "dependency", and an "hard" one for a library.
> Maybe this has something to do with my studies in functional programming.

So true.

>> So an application is a library with a class with a main :) (just kidding)
>
> An apple is a fruit.
> A banana is a yellow fruit.
> A yellow apple is a yellow fruit.
> So a yellow apple is a banana.... not sure ;-)

I don't know, but I like to eat apple, banana and oranges, although
oranges are not yellow :)

> Happy new year!

All the best!