james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen STAN <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: james gsoc 2012 ideas
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 19:34:23 GMT
On Mi 01 feb 2012 20:19:02 +0200, Eric Charles wrote:
> Hi Ioan,
> See comments inside.
> Eric
>
> On 31/01/12 22:24, Ioan Eugen STAN wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> Google Summer of Code is approaching again. I guess Apache will be
>> selected again. I'm planning to apply for James because this is the
>> last year I can participate but I'm also thinking of mentoring. Haven't
>> decided yet.
>>

> Didn't you already participate as a student last year...???

Yes I did, but there isn't a limit (from what I know). I also thought
about mentoring first but then someone mentioned that since I already
know the code base (parts of it anyway) I can be like a full time payed
developer for James.  And then my wheels started turning :D. I can
achieve much more then last year considering that my coding skills have
improved considerably.

>> I have two ideas for GSoC this year:
>>
>> 1. distributed Mailet processor using actors. I saw something like
>> this exists but it's not in the code base.
>>

> Not sure what you mean. Are you thinking to scala-like actors?

Yes, something like that. From my knowledge, actors can be distributed
to other machines.

>> 2. Mailet bindings for other languages. Implement Mailets in your
>> preferred language (Python, Ruby, JavaScript, Perl, Bash, etc.). The
>> idea is that most sys-admins for mail servers are not java friendly and
>> are more productive with the tools they know.
>>

> Can be interesting, however if the goal is to attract more users, IMHO
> things like a web management interface or hot reload configuration
> would be more helpful.

Speaking like someone who felt the needs. Great ideas, why haven't you
mentioned them before?
I especially like the one with hot reloading the configuration. Get's
us one step closer to clustering and distributed James instances.