james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject james deb packaging
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:57:35 GMT
Hello,

I've started working on packaging James as Debian package. Basic stuff
is in james-app and you can create a *.deb package by running

$ mvn package -P make-deb

I will work in the next days to make it usable and go for Debian Java
policy compliance [1].

With respect to FHS [2] the layout will probably look like this:

- config files will go to /etc/james
- loggs will go into /var/log/james
- binary and start-up scripts will go into /usr/bin
- other files will go into /usr/share/james
- docs, readme and license will go in /usr/share/doc/james

The config files will probably need to be adapted for the new layout.
I choose james as the folder installation name and I will also use
this name as the user name under which James will run (without super
user priviledges).

Please make corrections/suggestion on what I said above.

Cheers,

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/
[2] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
--