james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Gazda <gazdahims...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to build James from trunk
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:40:50 GMT
Gentlemen,

I still have problems to understand what is normal and what is not
normal with maven and James.

(1) From what goes on on this mailing list I have understood that
James Components live their lives quite independently from each other.
So, it is normal that in some development phases component1 has
version 0.2 in its pom.xml but in other modules' poms component1
version 0.1 is still referenced. (Am I right so far?) Note that in
this example the referenced version 0.1 is lover than the trunk
version 0.2.
There are two principal kinds of references in Maven poms: (i)
dependency and (ii) parent.
As for dependencies, it is perfectly reasonable for me that component2
depends on component1 version 0.1, whereby there is already the
version 0.2 of component1 in the trunk.
But as for parent references I am asking myself what can be the reason
for distinct versions in the parent's project.version and its child's
project.parent.version? Here is an example from the current trunk:
apache-jsieve has version 0.6-SNAPSHOT in its pom, but 0.5-SNAPSHOT is
referenced in apache-jsieve-assemble's pom as its parent. Both m2e and
mvn install complain about that. When I replace 0.5-SNAPSHOT in
apache-jsieve-assemble's pom with 0.6-SNAPSHOT it works. Is it a bug?
apache-james-mailbox referencing james-project 1.8.1-SNAPSHOT as its
parent is another example. Why does it not reference james-project
1.8.2-SNAPSHOT?
Generally, which are there situations in which parent reference
version lower than parent trunk version make sense?

(2) In (1) I spoke about the case when referenced version is lover
than the trunk version. Here I am asking about the opposite:
hupa-parent references james-project 1.9-SNAPSHOT as its parent but
the version of james-project in the trunk is 1.8.2-SNAPSHOT. This
cannot be OK, can it?
hupa-parent should be fixed to reference james-project 1.8.2-SNAPSHOT
as its parent, should it not?

(3) Generally, is the following sequence always expected to work and
if it does not, is it a reason to file a bug in Jira?

rm -Rf $HOME/.m2/repository
cd james/current
svn update
mvn clean install -DskipTests