james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GSOC2012] Hupa evolution
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 03:50:38 GMT
Hupa should also focus to decouple the 'services' from the 'ui'.

If we have independent services for efficient IMAP mailbox read/write,
contact management, authentication/authorization... (name any), we can:

1.- Focus on those libraries without the ui concern - for example, my
current experience with hupa is that the mailboxes reading sometimes
fails due to (I think) latency,...

2.- Put any ui on top, GWT being the first developed, but any other one
could be further added.

Thx,
Eric

On 04/18/2012 05:20 PM, Manuel Carrasco Moñino wrote:
> I've been taking a look to the demo, it looks pretty nice because of a good
> selection of css, I'll  deep into the code when I had a while.
>
> You can see Hupa in action in either servers:
> http://hupa.alcala.org (it's a shared server I use, it could be down
> sometimes)
> http://james.zones.apache.org  (it's a recent instance deployed in the
> James jail server).
>
> In order to use hupa you have to login with any gmail user (previously you
> have to enable imap in that user).
>
> - Manolo
>
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan<stan.ieugen@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Dhurbo, Manolo,
>>
>> I think the developer doing the work should choose whatever platform
>> he is most comfortable with. Good code has to come out of his hands
>> and comfort aids that. Having both with be great (but most likely hard
>> to maintain in the long run).
>>
>> As a user I would like to see something usable that looks nice. I
>> wouldn't care if it where implemented in a specific platform.
>>
>> MyFaces mailbox demo looks very nice. I haven't checked Hupa demo (I
>> know Manolo has one installed, but I don't have a gmail test account
>> and I didn't see any SSL), maybe we should have a mocked HUPA install
>> like MyFaces one available online. I wonder what it will take to do
>> that?
>>
>> My cents ;).
>> Cheers,
>>
>> 2012/4/18 Dhrubo<dhrubo.kayal@gmail.com>:
>>> Manolo -
>>> Primefaces Mailbox template ---
>>> http://www.primefaces.org/showcase-labs/ui/layoutMailbox.jsf
>>>
>>> Its basic but good starting point. They have very rich component suite
>> also
>>> you can look into Primefaces extensions for more layouts and Rich editor
>>> support besides what is provided by Primefaces itself.
>>> The extensions project is hosted here -
>>> http://code.google.com/p/primefaces-extensions/
>>>
>>> They also have their entire showcase online.
>>>
>>> Slight deviation - following the principles of Zimbra we can easily
>>> (hopefully) we can turn this webmail app into a desktop app like MS
>> OUTLOOK
>>> or Thunderbird by embeding Jetty with Mozilla Prism (is it a dead
>> project i
>>> guess) or some kind of XULRunner.
>>>
>>> Also I am available for any consultancy or help on Primefaces, JSF 2,
>>> Spring. I can also do lot of  development as well provided I have a
>> commit
>>> privilege on SVN :) . One big advantage I see using JSF 2 is modular app
>>> development. Please check this link -
>>> https://community.jboss.org/wiki/ModularWebAppsWithJSF2?_sscc=t
>>>
>>> This can be further extended with Spring and Ant style configuration.

> [...]
Hupa's
>> gwt
>> mvp
I am