james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: help with site migration
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 19:08:08 GMT
2012/4/3 Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org>:
> 2012/4/2 Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieugen@gmail.com>:
>> Please feel free to add info about how docs are generated and published.
>> From what I know we use maven site plugin to generate the docs from some xml
>> pages.
>
> Maven generates some page using the xdoc format and files we put in
> the /src/site folder of each project. Then it also generate much more
> pages using plugins.

"Much more pages using plugins" means the maven reports?

> There is a lot of stuff we generate using maven and that you can't
> generate otherwise, so we'll still need maven to update the website.

If you're not referring to the maven report generation please give me
some examples so I know what you mean.

>> I also wish to move to a more friendlier way of writing docs (something with
>> Markdown syntax maybe, I don't know). This may imply moving away from mvn
>> site. How do you feel about this?
>
> I don't care about syntax, but I care about consistency and easyness
> of the release process, so I expect you to show us some proposal in a
> sandbox so we can have a look at it and its workflow.
> And if you want to move to something different from the current xdocs
> you should prepare to "translate" all of our projects (otherwise we
> end up with 2 different ways to do things and in the long term this
> gives nothing good).
>
> Stefano

We agree on consistency and ease of use. I don't know any solution by
now but I'm going to ask around and see how others have switched and
what worked for them.

Thanks for the input, Stefano.

Regards,
--