james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: would like to increase cpu usage
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 09:26:55 GMT
On 06/26/2012 07:45 AM, roy.james@xemaps.com wrote:
> Hello James devs!
>
> So our custom implementation of James is truckin' along and we started running load tests.
 Despite hundreds of connections I can't seem to get James' IMAP service to utilize more than
60% (usually hovers around 50%) cpu.  This could be due to our custom implementation but I
was wondering if there were any parameters I could set that could help me tune the service?

Glad to read this.
Btw, which tool do you use to stress on IMAP?

> I do see ioWorkerCount and maxExecutorCount but these don't seem to change CPU usage
for me.  Any suggestions would be great!

It's possible that the limit resides on the IO (disk and/or network).
What does iostat tell? (iostat -x 1)

> Unfortunately I have yet to get around to figuring out what was wrong with the COMPRESS
option for IMAP.  Partially due to lack of time (we can deal with no compression for now)
and partially due to my newbiness.  I tried to grok the code for COMPRESS but was left kind
of confused.  I tried to follow the chain of command but for some reason could not find where
the compression was actually handled.  Could someone point out the class that actually does
the compress and decompress?

I still have your build which breaks the ipad.
I made test and it was indeed giving issue on my ipad, but I didn't
further investigate.