james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Improved MailboxPath and how to handle the resulting change set
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:53:56 GMT
Hi Gazda,

Thx for bringing more details on the changes. I will further read and
comment (your mail crossed my previous one).

I would like to invite all existing users/developers already working
with the mailbox-api to express their thinkings.

AFAIK, there are a few developers already using the mailbox-api, and
this will largely impact their implementation.

They may have ideas/proposals to take into account at this stage.

They may also be worried about your (ii) point: JCR/JPA/HBase schema
change. I hope maildir persistence format is not changed, or at least
can be transparently upgraded (it shouldn't as it is a defacto standard).

I will off the next 2 weeks. I'm not mandatory, but we should wait
enough time to gather potential feedbacks from everyone (better to
launch a new thread for this to bring needed attention).

For your remaining points:

(i) we can always let evolve after

(ii) we have a mailbox-copier for upgrades
(http://james.apache.org/server/3/upgrade-database.html). you can copy
any mailbox to maildir, upgrade the server, and copy back maildir to the
new mailbox. Not elegant, but it has proven to work...

(iii) how is mailet project impacted?

Thx again,

Eric