james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Merve Temizer <mervet2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LDAP Login
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 07:37:17 GMT
Hello Eric,

Thanks for attention, i wrote something for ApacheDS example,
i think with a concrete LDAP server example, everything might be more clear.
There is still something i want to ask, do we have to manage domains with
JPA, or is there any other possibility.

STEPS TO AUTHENTICATE JAMES WİTH LDAP(ApacheDS for this case)

Delete record about JPA in James's conf/usersrepository.xml

and add below lines, the last ivew must be like this:

<xml>
 <repository name="LocalUsers"
class="org.apache.james.user.ldap.ReadOnlyUsersLDAPRepository"
ldapHost="ldap://localhost:10389"
        principal="uid=admin,ou=system" credentials="secret"
userObjectClass="inetOrgPerson"  userBase="ou=users,ou=system"
userIdAttribute="uid">
<UsersDomain>example.com</UsersDomain>
       <LDAPRoot>dc=example,dc=com</LDAPRoot>
       <MailAddressAttribute>mail</MailAddressAttribute>
       <IdentityAttribute>uid</IdentityAttribute>
       <AuthenticationType>simple</AuthenticationType>
       <ManagePasswordAttribute>TRUE</ManagePasswordAttribute>
       <PasswordAttribute>userPassword</PasswordAttribute>
</repository>
</xml>

To explain a little;

In ApacheDS's default construction, there is a root having
"dc=example,dc=com"

Because of this, the lines should be added:

<UsersDomain>example.com</UsersDomain>
<LDAPRoot>dc=example,dc=com</LDAPRoot>

And a domain called "example.com" should be added to James, it saves the
info about domains still in JPA.

${james_root}/container-spring/target/appassembler/bin/james-cli.sh -h
localhost adddomain example.com

ApacheDS's admin is admin under "ou=system" entry, and its default password
is "secret" thus, we need below attributes:

principal="uid=admin,ou=system" credentials="secret"

In ApacheDS when you want to add an entry it requires object classes, it
should be selected, "inetOrgPerson" and it put a few more automatically
thus the atribute should be aaded in configuration:

 userObjectClass="inetOrgPerson"

Users are under entry "ou=users,ou=system" , thus the attribute should be
added:

userBase="ou=users,ou=system"

For ApacheDS, userIdAttribute is "uid", thus it is specified:

userIdAttribute="uid"

In ApacheDS new users should be added under "ou=users,ou=system", with a
"uid" and a "userPassword" attributes.
Also while adding new user, the DN should contain "uid".

While querying James using e.g. POP3,

USER yourUsersUID@example.com
PASS yourUsersPassword

should be used.