james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Mihai Soloi <mihai.so...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hbase Lucene Index(HBaluin) for James Mailbox Feedback
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:25:58 GMT
Hi Eric,

Thank you for reviewing my code, please see the responses inline. This past
week I've been working on improving my knowledge of Hadoop, HBase and
Lucene, on github project HadoopTDG.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Eric Charles <eric@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Mihai,
>
> Thx for the update.
> I have cloned your repo and run some tests (ubuntu, jdk7). I have stopped
> the tests because it was taking long (recurring issue with hadoop/hbase
> clusters - maybe an area to improve not too late, otherwise test will
> become unusable).
>
> See other comments inline,
>
> Eric
>

> On 07/06/2012 07:49 PM, Mihai Soloi wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> This is just a report to what I have been up to lately.
>>
>> I tried to run the tests they have in Lucene's trunk working with the
>> HBaseDirectory implementation, there are 1700+ tests and a lot of them
>> are failing at the moment. I had a lot of troubles figuring out how to
>> run them and also include my implementation in them. Now you can easily
>> run them by following the README.txt file in the project. Running their
>> tests have helped me in tracking down issues with my code.
>>

> You mean you run the lucene src test with the HBaseDirectory impl?
> How did you do it? (just curious)

Yes I just packaged the HBaluin project with all dependencies and ran it
using the Lucene ant testing setup.

> Btw, There is also a perf test project in lucene that could be used to
> assess the HBaluin performance.

Thank you, I am aware of that but the benchmarks don't start if all the
tests don't pass, so it's still a work in project.

>  Another project I've spent some time on is HBase, trying to make the
>> HBASE-3529 patch working. I had to rewrite some of the code but their
>> HDFSDirectoryTest is now passing, and am currently at work at getting
>> the CoprocessorsTests pass as well. I will upload the code on my github.
>>

> Is this in the apache-extra git repo?

No, no, I am using my github repo  for that, I've come in contact with
Jason Rutherglen, asking more details about his implementation of the
HBASE-3529 and also of the modified HDFSDirectory, and he replied detailing
his problems with the project. Also there is a detailed copy of his
discussion with Ted Dunning on the implementation of the project in [1]