james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new mailets directory structure
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:44:16 GMT
(see inline)

On 30/11/2012 10:27, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Eric Charles <eric@apache.org> wrote:
>> +1 on the idea to put mailets together, but yes, we need to take care to not
>> loose the tags/branches.
>
> Great! I can move them in place under james/mailets/trunk. There are
> no branches, just a few tags. I don't have a solution to tags so I
> expect some help. From what I know, they are shallow references to
> certain commits. Not sure if they will work if I move them under
> james/mailets/tags .

SVN folders in tags are simply a copy of another folder. You could call
tag and branch 'foo' and 'bar', it would be the same. It's simply a
naming conventions.

'svn mv ... ...' should do the work, although I have never moved
tags/branches.  Double check with another src :)

>> I guess using a few carefull "svn mv fromUrl toUrl" can do the job (no need
>> for new commit/recommmit).
>
> Yep, thanks.
>
>> About the naming, I would love to have consisten naming. For now, we have
>> some mailet-aggregator, mailbox-project vs apache-crypto-mailets...
>>
>> I (re)open here the door to another discussion which is the naming
>> conventions of our artifcats... Regarding the mailets, I would suggest at
>> least to name the new top pom "apache-mailets" to be more consistent with
>> the rest.
>
> Agree, I would also like to update the versioning schema and go with
> http://semver.org/ , which I think is also ok with regard to OSGi.
> I think I can do them over the weekend and go with a release sometimes
> next week with the new project structure, artifact names and versions.

Cool. Before committing, please post here your naming proposal so
everyone has time to commment and review. Naming and structure are
always sensible topics.

Also, if you decide to change naming/packages/versions..., please also
add in you todo:
- The impact on the other James components (pom, src...).
- The impact on the documentation (download page, mailet sites..)

Thx again,

Eric