james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: new mailets directory structure
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2012 01:41:44 GMT
Hello Eric,

Please read inline,

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Eric Charles <eric@apache.org> wrote:
> (see inline)
>

> On 30/11/2012 10:27, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Eric Charles <eric@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 on the idea to put mailets together, but yes, we need to take care to
>>> not
>>> loose the tags/branches.
>>

>> Great! I can move them in place under james/mailets/trunk. There are
>> no branches, just a few tags. I don't have a solution to tags so I
>> expect some help. From what I know, they are shallow references to
>> certain commits. Not sure if they will work if I move them under
>> james/mailets/tags .
>>

> SVN folders in tags are simply a copy of another folder. You could call tag
> and branch 'foo' and 'bar', it would be the same. It's simply a naming
> conventions.
>
> 'svn mv ... ...' should do the work, although I have never moved
> tags/branches.  Double check with another src :)

It worked like a charm, thanks.

>>> I guess using a few carefull "svn mv fromUrl toUrl" can do the job (no
>>> need
>>> for new commit/recommmit).
>>

>> Yep, thanks.
>>
>>> About the naming, I would love to have consisten naming. For now, we have
>>> some mailet-aggregator, mailbox-project vs apache-crypto-mailets...
>>>
>>> I (re)open here the door to another discussion which is the naming
>>> conventions of our artifcats... Regarding the mailets, I would suggest at
>>> least to name the new top pom "apache-mailets" to be more consistent with
>>> the rest.
>>

>> Agree, I would also like to update the versioning schema and go with
>> http://semver.org/ , which I think is also ok with regard to OSGi.
>> I think I can do them over the weekend and go with a release sometimes
>> next week with the new project structure, artifact names and versions.

New directory structure is available at [1], I'm waiting for the git
mirror as requeste by me to infra. All our repos will then have git
mirrors.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailet/

> Cool. Before committing, please post here your naming proposal so everyone
> has time to commment and review. Naming and structure are always sensible
> topics.

I would like to rename maven artifacts so they are more consistent.
Don't have a strong preference but I like groupId:
org.apache.james.mailets  like the protocols groupId. I don't have a
strong opinion on this, so I'm ready to drop in case of complaints.

With regard to artifactId, I'm going with apache-mailets for the
parent pom (where we will define all the properties and dependency
management for mailets). apache-mailets-aggregator will aggregate all
the projects.

apache-mailets will have apache-james-project as parent. All other
mailet projects, including apache-mailets-aggregator, will be children
of apache-mailets.

As for the version changes, I plan to add numbers and dots so they
look like X.Y.Z. For example, apache-james-ai-project will have
0.0.1-SNAPSHOT instead of 0.1-SNAPSHOT. This is mainly to be
consistent and so we don't create confusion in OSGi realm.

Pull requests would be very nice but I think patches or github web
reviews will have to do until we get the basics.

Any help is appreciated,

Ioan Eugen Stan / CTO / http://axemblr.com