james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: James Karaf module
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2013 16:26:26 GMT
On 07/01/2013 15:36, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> Please read my response inline.
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Eric Charles <eric@apache.org> wrote:
>> That's really cool Ioan.
>>
>> Points pumping in my head:
>>
>> 1.- What's the vision for the home of the karaf module? In an existing
>> project (server?) or as a separate project one?
>
> It will be part of Server, I think it's the best place.

+1
Sound like the logical place in the current structure.

> Frankly I think we should merge all projects under the same repo (not
> necessarily be linked in a  Maven hierarchy, just be physically in the
> same repo) and switch to Git. It will be a bit of work but I think it
> will be worth it when it comes to development speed. It should make
> the projects more easy to update.
>
> Wdyt?

I see two down-sides:
- when we mvn release, we tag all the source code. this will be very
confusing
- when a dev wants to work on mime4j or hupa, he will have to clone the
complete src code base, with all its history, wich is not a samll one
(10+ years of code...).

>> 2.- Any chance to have a page on the web site. If not, a README (how to
>> deploy for newbies...) would be great.
>
> It's on my list. The idea is to make the first 5 minutes with James a
> great experience.
>
>> 3.- Finally, what would be the killer advantage for our users to deploy in
>> Karaf?
>
> Well, the first improvements that come to mind are:
>
> - integration with other Karaf projects and access all the Karaf goodies [1]
> - better deployment - Karaf has support to be run as a service and
> from CLI, also has a good project layout (lib, etc, data) [2]
> - better administration interface via Karaf commands - and SSH (ssh to
> Karaf process) access to the admin console [3], [4]
> - better project structure - focus on services - comes with OSGi
> - dynamic configuration of James via ConfigAdmin (future) [5]
> - start and stop for important services: IMAP, SMTP, POP3, Mailboxes,
> etc. (future)
>   Ex:
>     james:imap --stop  (when you wish to stop the IMAP server),
>     james:domain --add example.com (to add a domain)
>
> I think James and Karaf make a great couple and, I believe, it's the
> main thing we should focus as a means to distribute James.

I see for now the need of config hot swap to be able to have that level.
The hot config stuff is orthogonal to karaf.