james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: James Karaf module
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2013 15:36:28 GMT
Hello Eric,

Please read my response inline.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Eric Charles <eric@apache.org> wrote:
> That's really cool Ioan.
>
> Points pumping in my head:
>
> 1.- What's the vision for the home of the karaf module? In an existing
> project (server?) or as a separate project one?

It will be part of Server, I think it's the best place.

Frankly I think we should merge all projects under the same repo (not
necessarily be linked in a  Maven hierarchy, just be physically in the
same repo) and switch to Git. It will be a bit of work but I think it
will be worth it when it comes to development speed. It should make
the projects more easy to update.

Wdyt?

> 2.- Any chance to have a page on the web site. If not, a README (how to
> deploy for newbies...) would be great.

It's on my list. The idea is to make the first 5 minutes with James a
great experience.

> 3.- Finally, what would be the killer advantage for our users to deploy in
> Karaf?

Well, the first improvements that come to mind are:

- integration with other Karaf projects and access all the Karaf goodies [1]
- better deployment - Karaf has support to be run as a service and
from CLI, also has a good project layout (lib, etc, data) [2]
- better administration interface via Karaf commands - and SSH (ssh to
Karaf process) access to the admin console [3], [4]
- better project structure - focus on services - comes with OSGi
- dynamic configuration of James via ConfigAdmin (future) [5]
- start and stop for important services: IMAP, SMTP, POP3, Mailboxes,
etc. (future)
 Ex:
   james:imap --stop  (when you wish to stop the IMAP server),
   james:domain --add example.com (to add a domain)

I think James and Karaf make a great couple and, I believe, it's the
main thing we should focus as a means to distribute James.

[1] http://karaf.apache.org/
[2] http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/users-guide/directory-structure.html
[3] http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/users-guide/security.html
[4] http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/commands/commands.html