james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web management interface
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 11:23:30 GMT
Hello,

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Emma Sesmero <emmasesmero@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As requested by Manolo, I am detailing the screens with the parameters that
> I was thinking to modify and a sitemap of each deliverable with the
> balsamiqqdrive tool, suggested by Echo. As soon as I finish it I will add
> the link to the proposal.
>
> Concerning the configuration, I am aware that most of the configuration
> requires restart the server, while managing users and domains do not. So I
> am separating them in two different menus in the sitemap.
>
> About the integration with Hupa, the idea is to be able to share the login
> page. After logging, the administrator would be redirected to the
> administration console application. So, there would not be any problem to
> run this application separately.

Why do you wish to share the login page? A login page is quite simple
to do so don't worry about that.

> But implementing this in GWT would allow to extending the code to create a
> version for the final user integrated with Hupa, being able to access the
> configuration panel to change password, create alias or change the offline
> message.

Managing user password and other _user_ related things are separate
from server administration and monitoring tasks.
The user related stuff need to be added to Hupa. The rest should be in
the management app.

> If there is any other thing you want me to detail or take into account,
> please, let me know.

I would love to see a bit of code to be able to evaluate your level.
Could you write a simple GWT application that reads JMX data from
James and publish it to a Git/SVN repo?
The code doesn't hafve to be perfect, just to work. I can give you a
hand/advices along the way if you get stuck.

Regards,

> 2013/5/8 Eric Charles <eric@apache.org>
>
>> On 08/05/2013 10:20, Eric Charles wrote:
>> > Hi Emma,
>> >
>> > James doesn't support configuration reloading (so you must know that if
>> > you change any conf to a running james instance, this one will have to
>> > be restarted for the changes to happen).
>> >

>> Well, some actions are directly visible (user creation...), others need
>> a restart (change in smtp/pop3/imap4 settings such as ports...)
>>
>> Thx, Eric
>>
>> > It is nice to use the same web technology (GWT) as Hupa. However, these
>> > are different beasts, and if integration may be possible, it should also
>> > be welcome to run those webapps separately.
>> >
>> > Thx, Eric

>> is

>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/emma/10001

>> make