james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Waibel <BWai...@intarsys.de>
Subject Contributing to James [unsigned]
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:03:26 GMT
Hello.

I am little frustrated. I would like to see the project going on. But nothing is happing here?

The web page http://james.apache.org/guidelines.html does not tell much about how to contribute.
But it has been last published: 2012-04-19, so maybe it is to old?

I tried to contribute. Not sure if this has been the right way.
I managed to set up James with eclipse and maven using SVN. Wrote a document about it. Hosted
it somewhere else, it is not possible to push it to the James pages.
I opened cases in JIRA, offered patches.
Nothing happened.

After that I discovered that there is also a github project. Discovered just by accident.
https://github.com/apache/james
So what to use? Git, or Svn?

The release candidate is rather old, and it seems to me, nothing is really going to get released
in next time.
There are still "new features" added to a "release candidate", but new features means to me:
no release in next time.
The last commit on github trunk is by: Eric Charles authored on 2 Sep 2014

We are using James in our product, but the "stable" 2.3.2 version, and it was good. And we
need it.
But we also need to go further. IMAP, ssl, more than one smtp listener, and so on.

So what should we use in future?
Postfix?

Greetings,
Bernd