james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Baechler <mbaech...@linagora.com>
Subject Contributions
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 08:38:49 GMT
Hi,

I work for an free software company, Linagora, and with my team, we are
working to have James fit our needs.
Two of our interns already submitted some code regarding Cassandra
support and some bugfixes on James itself (Philippe Benoit and Benoit
Tellier).
We are making our team bigger and have multiple goals that I'd like to
share with you:
1. have James 3.0 released !
2. writing backends to run James on Cassandra/ElasticSearch/Kafka
3. write some mailet or other extensions to match our products
functional needs

So we are currently working to contribute all the code we wrote for goal 2.

In this regard, I'd like to know several things :

- I see in james-parent 1.8.3-SNAPSHOT that James targets java 6. What
about pushing it to java 7 now that Java 6 is end-of-life ?

- is it acceptable to contribute backends that require java 8 (with some
magic to disable build if java < 8). We would really like writing modern
Java for our modules !

- Could James projet make use of apache integration
(https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and)
with github to accept contributions ? I know some others apache projects
amend their contribution guidelines to make it possible (
https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html ). We could just import
their practices into James, don't you think ?

Feel free to make me to redirect my questions to the right place if it's
not.

Regards,

--
Matthieu Baechler