james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Baechler <mbaech...@linagora.com>
Subject Re: Contributions
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:31:21 GMT
Hi,

Le 11/04/2015 19:01, Eric Charles a écrit :
> See answers in line
>
> On 04/09/2015 10:38 AM, Matthieu Baechler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I work for an free software company, Linagora, and with my team, we
>> are working to have James fit our needs.
>> Two of our interns already submitted some code regarding Cassandra
>> support and some bugfixes on James itself (Philippe Benoit and Benoit
>> Tellier).
>> We are making our team bigger and have multiple goals that I'd like
>> to share with you:
>> 1. have James 3.0 released !
>> 2. writing backends to run James on Cassandra/ElasticSearch/Kafka
>> 3. write some mailet or other extensions to match our products
>> functional needs
>>

> Great!
>
> Could you list the opened jira with contributions? I will review and
> commit.
Benoit Tellier will reply to this mail to list his waiting contributions.

I've just created MAILBOX-221 and MAILBOX-222 to bring the changes about
jdk versions.

>> So we are currently working to contribute all the code we wrote for
>> goal 2.
>>
>> In this regard, I'd like to know several things :
>>
>> - I see in james-parent 1.8.3-SNAPSHOT that James targets java 6.
>> What about pushing it to java 7 now that Java 6 is end-of-life ?
>>

> It would be better to release 3.0.0 on java 6 and migrate to java 7
> for the next release.
Great, let's do this. MAILBOX-221 will enforce this (for mailbox).

>> - is it acceptable to contribute backends that require java 8 (with
>> some magic to disable build if java < 8). We would really like
>> writing modern Java for our modules !
>>

> Sure, but it would be released for 3.0.0+
> jdk7 or jdk8 will be subject to discussion.

See MAILBOX-222 then.

>> - Could James projet make use of apache integration
>> (https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and)
>> with github to accept contributions ? I know some others apache
>> projects amend their contribution guidelines to make it possible (
>> https://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html ). We could just
>> import their practices into James, don't you think ?
>>

> +1

I've just tried this github integration and it seems to work (it adds a
comment into related ticket). Where do you want we document this process ?

--
Matthieu Baechler