james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Torstein Tauno Svendsen <tors...@visena.com>
Subject Re: IMAP: multiple literal arguments not working?
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2015 08:40:59 GMT
On 09. okt. 2015 21:32, Torstein Tauno Svendsen wrote:

> Hi! I tried using James (3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT) behind a perdition proxy
> (http://horms.net/projects/perdition/), and noted that this makes IMAP
> login-requests hang.
>
> Seems that when peridtion forwards the "LOGIN" request request it ends
> up sending something like:
>
> A LOGIN {3}
> foo {3}
> bar
>
> And this does not work with James - I see the expected "+" resonse after
> "LOGIN {3}", but there is no response to "foo {3}".
>
> Sending only the password as a literal  - i.e.
>
> "LOGIN foo {3}
> bar"
>
> works as expected .
>
> Is this a bug in James or a misfeature in perdition? Sending all the
> arguments like literals works fine with dovecot.

I tried digging into this - looks like there are two issues preventing
this from working:

  1) AbstractNettyImapRequestLineReader uses a boolean ("retry") to
determine if it should write continuation requests or not, so it can
only support one literal argument

  2) ImapRequestFrameDecoder starts with "buffer.markReaderIndex()" and
does a "buffer.resetReaderIndex()" to reset the reader index if it does
not have enough data. But if a literal argument has been read,
NettyImapRequestLineReader does this:

  InputStream in = new BoundedInputStream(new
ChannelBufferInputStream(buffer), size);

And the ChannelBufferInputStream constructor ends up doing
"buffer.markReaderIndex()", so the reader-index ImapRequestFrameDecoder
should reset to has been overwritten.

Attaching a patch that seems to work for me.

--
Torstein Tauno Svendsen                torstein@visena.com
Seniorutvikler                              +47 932 95 901