james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Baechler <mbaech...@linagora.com>
Subject jmap-integration-testing (was : Re: My thoughts on JMAP implementation)
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2015 07:42:08 GMT

On 13/12/2015 12:43, Tellier Benoit wrote:

[...]

>    - jmap-integration-testing project is strange to me.
>
>        1/ Its location. I think it has nothing to do in protocols, and
> would rather see it in a new folder. Something like
> /server/integration-tests/jmap/cassandra .(again server/protocols is,
> according to me, about decoding requests and encoding responses)

jmap-integration-testing aims at testing jmap protocol. It makes sense
to have it next to jmap.

About whether it should be next to server/protocols/jmap or
protocols/jmap : it's integration tests, we need a server running, so
server/protocols/jmap seems to be the best fit. Do you agree ?

>        2/ I think you should make it easier for one to implement other
> backends, and separate Cassandra stuff from generalizable testing stuff.

To some degree, I disagree with the "everything must be generic" policy.

On one hand, it's not a problem to put interfaces to be able to switch
implementation of various part of James and it's what we did in jmap (we
don't have any dependency on a specific backend).

On the other hand, testing every configuration is a dead-end. Tests are
already too long to execute and cartesian product of pluggable parts is
really huge.

So our take is : just allow anybody to test the configuration it want
(after all, it's just a matter of splitting today
jmap-integration-testing in two parts) but don't pay upfront the cost of
having those configurations tested.

Obviously it is a choice we can discuss further if anybody feels it's a
critical design decision.

--
Matthieu Baechler