james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Baechler <mbaech...@linagora.com>
Subject Re: Which GIT repo to use [unsigned]
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2016 13:34:58 GMT
Hi Bernd,

On 24/02/2016 11:09, Bernd Waibel wrote:
> Hello together,
>
> I am trying to write a document on running James in Eclipse.
> But I discovered some inconsistent things according to the move to Git. Or something
I do not understand.

> There are 2 James projects hosted on the Git server by apache:
>
> *         git://git.apache.org/james-project.git
>
> *         git://git.apache.org/james.git
>
> The "james.git" project does contain the james-server, and contains the actual tags for
"james-server-3.0-beta4", also for earlier releases (like 2.3.2).
> The "james-project.git" project does contain all things, including the james-server.
But it does NOT contain the tags (or I am unable to find them).
> So it seems that it is not possible to "checkout" the "james-server-3.0-beta4" from the
"james-project.git".

The project was split into several svn repositories not long ago. You
have to get it from svn if you want the beta4 tag.

> The "writable" git on https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/  does only list the new
james-project structure (and no james-server):
> The "readonly" git on https://git.apache.org/  does list both.
> Both GITs are linked to the same SVN: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/. Or exactly:
to some part of it.

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/ is the new reference repository
now that we use git as our only VCS.

> Questions:
>
> 1.       The "james.git" does not seems to be updated further. Is this correct?

Correct

> So the latest available "version" will be "james-server-3.0-beta4".

Yes.

> 2.       The "james-project.git" is missing all current "tags" like 2.3.2 and like "james-server-3.0-beta4".
Is this correct?

That's almost true, yes. We did a first merge of several modules with
svn to put what we think is James core into a single repository :
james-project. History is still available in svn, but git migration lost
some bits.

> So the "james-project.git" is a "new" project, starting from scratch, and does not contain
the old v3 and v2.3.2 releases.

Almost.

> 3.       If yes, will the tags be "recreated"?

I don't think so, we should create a new tag. We can plan to tag a beta5
soon.

> 4.       So: which git should be used? Is the following right:
>
> a.       For "active development" use james-project.git

Yes, https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=james-project.git;a=tree
See http://james.apache.org/newsarchive.html#a20160208 and other news
for details about git migration.

> b.      For "old releases" including v2 and v3, use james.git

You have to use svn repositories for that.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

--
Matthieu Baechler