james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Waibel <BWai...@intarsys.de>
Subject AW: Running James as WAR [unsigned]
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 14:07:25 GMT
Hello Mathieu,

the reason for this:

We do have a web application for managing some features in James 2.3.2.
I do not want to do advertising here, cause this is a non-commercial forum, but you personally
may have a look at this screenshot: "https://wiki.intarsys.de/confluence/display/SMG/Aktionen+in+den+Regeln"
Sorry, this page is currently only in German language, but some screenshots may make clear
what we are doing.

The managing application is running in Tomcat7, and the web app is managing James and our
own mailet (via JMX, and via our own mailet). So the idea is to manage James via our Tomcat-Servlet.
We need to work with shared databases here, which may be of concern at runtime.

So, if Tomcat is already installed at the running machines of our customers, so why not run
James in Tomcat? We hope the deployment would be easier, cause on an update we just want to
replace the war file, and let tomcat do the deployment.

This has not been enabled in James2.3.2, I think, so it is a new feature.

We could use the standalone-runner, too.
The "Phoenix" implementation of james2 has been gone dead, which made the deployment tricky.
Would this happen again? Is the new runtime stable enough? What's about security fixes?
Tomcat has some good reputation on fixing security issues.

If you recommend to use the standalone service, because the James web app may become deprecated,
please let me know.

Best Regards
Bernd Waibel

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----