james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Baechler <mbaech...@linagora.com>
Subject Re: Running James as WAR [unsigned]
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 10:21:31 GMT
Could you explain why you would like to use it as a WAR ?

It looks like the trend is to have a self contained service.

I'm eager to know what would be the rational for that in 2016 and if it
would be interesting to actually support that for James 3.0 or not.

Regards,

--

Matthieu Baechler

On 07/14/2016 12:21 PM, Bernd Waibel wrote:
> Hello together,
>
> We would like to run James3 as WebApplication inside Tomcat.
>
> The configuration directory (conf) is located inside the war file, and is deployed to
the WEB-INF directory.
> This is a problem, if we like to redeploy or to update the war file. E.g. if we would
update from beta4 to beta5, we may lose the config files.
> So it would be nice to offer an option to define the conf directory (to lay outside of
the deployed directory structure).

> The JamesServerWebApplicationContext does define a root directory of
> "return JamesServerWebApplicationContext.this.getServletContext().getRealPath("/");"
>
> This is fine, cause we only want to define the "conf" directory, not the "var" directory
and so on.
> We do not want to change the ServletContext, cause this may tend to create other problems.
>
> The WebApp Context could be changed per installation, by creating a independent file
"<webappname>.xml" inside /Catalina/localhost/".

> I could not find any option to change the conf directory path.
> Is this right? Is there an option?
>
> Now there are some possible solutions to us:
>
> -          Create a own WebApplicationContext class, and change the web.xml file to use
this class, and deploy that.

> o   Would work for our application.
>
> -          Update the existing JamesServerWebApplicationContext class, to allow flexible
configuration of the directories via