james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Baechler <mbaech...@linagora.com>
Subject Re: AW: Running James as WAR [unsigned]
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2016 16:05:06 GMT
Hi Bernd,

I understand what you are trying to achieve and it makes perfect sense IMO.

We are writing a proposal about what we would like to see in James 3.0,
you can find it here : https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/42

Comments (and help, of course) are welcome. If you want the War
deployment to be supported, maybe you can offer some help ?

I personally prefer a jar deployment with the http server built in.
Security fix are more likely happening in anything but jetty nowadays so
making a specific case just for the servlet container seems to
complicated to me.

WDYT ?

--
Matthieu Baechler

may have a look at this screenshot: "https://wiki.intarsys.de/confluence/display/SMG/Aktionen+in+den+Regeln"
> Sorry, this page is currently only in German language, but some screenshots may make
clear what we are doing.

> The managing application is running in Tomcat7, and the web app is managing James and
our own mailet (via JMX, and via our own mailet). So the idea is to manage James via our Tomcat-Servlet.
We need to work with shared databases here, which may be of concern at runtime.

> So, if Tomcat is already installed at the running machines of our customers, so why not
run James in Tomcat? We hope the deployment would be easier, cause on an update we just want
to replace the war file, and let tomcat do the deployment.

> This has not been enabled in James2.3.2, I think, so it is a new feature.
>
> We could use the standalone-runner, too.
> The "Phoenix" implementation of james2 has been gone dead, which made the deployment
tricky.
> Would this happen again? Is the new runtime stable enough? What's about security fixes?
> Tomcat has some good reputation on fixing security issues.
>
> If you recommend to use the standalone service, because the James web app may become
deprecated, please let me know.