james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Levesque <si...@simonlevesque.com>
Subject Re: Next Steps for James
Date Sun, 06 May 2018 23:47:47 GMT
> slow release schedule

I totally agree. As a recall, the last one is from last October, which
would be fine if nothing happened since, but there are a lot of commits so
there should have way more releases.
I had to manually create a new release from "master" to have my fixes and I
would prefer to use an official release.

> 1. DOCS and TUTORIALS

To help get new documentation fast, a wiki would be better than: creating a
Jira, changing text files in the repository and doing a pull request.

Also, one big head-ache is that when we download the release, we cannot use
it right away and then slowly go throught all the changes we can make to
the config one part at a time. There should be a default config that just
works like "receive and send emails, no-ssl". Then, we could create some
sample/bundle configuration for:
- receive and send emails with ssl (maildir/jpa)
- receive emails ; send via a gateway (maildir/jpa)

That would give ready to use full config and also some examples of how to
tweak things.

> 2. NOT ENOUGH HANDS? DROP NOT ENOUGH USED COMPONENTS

I am not sure on this one. If you are doing a lot of API changes that
breaks all the components, yes that can be hard to maintain a lot of
components, but if you are mostly adding new mailet functionnalities and
new backends, that shouldn't be taking much time and it is actually giving
more choices to users. Even more so that there are Docker tests done with
them, so you can be confident to not have broken anything.

> 3. FULLY DISTRIBUTED
> It sounds like a fully distributed solution (potentially running on
Kubernetes) could be a better differentiator. There is still work to
achieve this (especially on the queuing level).

Not sure if having something for Kubernetes out of the box would really be
a differenciator. There are more people with Linux machines than with
Kubernetes clusters installed.
If I just think about using a provided Kubernetes cluster, I don't think
emails are good there. Eg:
- On Google Compute Engine, we cannot send emails directly, we need to use
an email gateway
- On Amazon, same thing
- On DigitalOcean, you can receive and send emails, but without using a
gateway, some of them could get lost (looking at Microsoft that sends
everything not whitelisted from a user to /dev/null instead of their SPAM
folder to give them a chance to know they are actually missing emails)
So using their Kubernetes cluster would still not be that simple to
configure.

>From Pablo's response
> I do not think current capabilities of the server are well promoted so
better communicating the current features would be good to get more users
to try the server. Maybe a sort of marketing campaign releasing some smart
things people could quickly do with the server would be nice.

+1 for that. While configuring for the first time James by looking at the
config files and at the Mailet/Matcher code directly, I found so many nice
features that I thought about maybe do in the future, but that are actually
already there out of the box. That needs to be easier than looking at the
code to be able to find all these goodies.

Cheers