james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Charles <e...@apache.org>
Date Sun, 06 May 2018 06:31:12 GMT
Hi James Community,

We have just discussed on the private list actions to further gain users
and developers on the Apache James mail server.

The discussion started as we are slow to convert new contributors to
committers and we have a slow release schedule.

I will summarize key points we have discussed. This is just a base to
start the discussions and we really would love and need to hear your
voice on this.

1. DOCS and TUTORIALS

- We have a new website but no easy tutorials.
- Which platform to use (readthedocs...?)
- Migrate/Close Wiki.

2. NOT ENOUGH HANDS? DROP NOT ENOUGH USED COMPONENTS

- We may have to do some choice: Drop some Mailbox implementations (JCR,
HBase), some data backends (JCR, HBase, JDBC)

3. FULLY DISTRIBUTED

- Today James features (multiple mailbox implementations, configurable
mailets, jmap access...) may not be enough to make the diff.
- It sounds like a fully distributed solution (potentially running on
Kubernetes) could be a better differentiator. There is still work to
achieve this (especially on the queuing level).

4. GSOC

- GSOC is an great way for new contributors,
- Any other options to attract newbies?

5. COMMUNICATION

- We don't use enough the available communication channels: Twitter,
Apache Blog...
- We also don't communicate between us about the plans, pipeline... This
is an action to fix this. Do we need to put a kanboard in place?