jclouds-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache jclouds 1.6.1-incubating RC3
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2013 00:46:28 GMT
Great progress Andrew with the release artifacts. I am in email catch up mode and might have
missed some discussion. So I will post some discussions first, will hold vote for now pending
this discussion. If these issues have been discussed previously I will vote. Meanwhile, I
will keep looking.

The signatures all look good, maven builds of all sources success, the nexus repo is correctly
populated (see improvements below), with required NOTICE, LICENSE and DISCLAIMER files.

I am personally not sure "Copyright 2013 jclouds" is a blocker or not. The instructions clearly
say it has to be Apache $Project - http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

I will not gate this and will vote positively, since the following line clearly says the software
is developed at ASF, but I will rely on other mentor/IPMC opinion on this.

The NOTICE.txt file in previous iterations (example: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejclouds-015/org/apache/jclouds/api/ec2/1.6.1-incubating/ec2-1.6.1-incubating.jar)
 has significant dependency notices. Why did these notices did not get populated into the
current NOTICE file (example - https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejclouds-016/org/apache/jclouds/api/ec2/1.6.1-incubating/ec2-1.6.1-incubating.jar)

Here are some non-blocking comments and suggestions for future improvements:

* Please instruct the release vote discussion to [VOTE] and [DISCUSS] threads. As soon as
you post the [VOTE] thread, immediately post a [DISCUSS] email and encourage all review and
discussions to discuss thread. The vote thread is advised to only have votes. Quick reference
examples [1], [2]
* Please try to post the release artifacts to official dev distribution area [3] instead of
your personal space -  (Note the *dev*, this location is not mirrored, the *release* area
[4] will be).
* Fix the NOTICE file from jclouds to Apache jclouds
* Include Project metadata in the parent pom -  Mailing List, Issue Management, Developers.
Example if needed [5].
* As David already pointed out, try and have atleast 3 apache committers sign your key.
* I would drop all the cancelled RC nexus repo's before pushing new RC's. Currently you will
see 7 staging repos - https://repository.apache.org/index.html#stagingRepositories. Except
the orgapachejclouds-016, please drop others.

Suresh
[1] - http://airavata.apache.org/development/release-vote.txt
[2] - http://airavata.apache.org/development/release-discuss.txt
[3] - https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/jclouds/