jclouds-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache jclouds 1.6.1-incubating, RC2
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2013 13:41:24 GMT
 On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Andrew Bayer <andrew.bayer@gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI, you don't need to vote this time - I'm taking it as written that we
> all approved, since there were no -1s earlier.
>
> A.

So from a legal standpoint you need explicit PMC votes on explicit
tarballs. No such thing as lazy consensus for a release. Admittedly
this is a release of the incubator, and thus you need three IPMC
votes, but you are supposedly doing this as if this were a TLP
release, and if the PPMC isn't satisfied, the IPMC will almost
certainly not be.

Also - for PPMC folks voting - the IPMC generally prefers to know how
you personally vetted the release artifacts. (admittedly it's a bit
like showing your work on a math problem) So please include those
details in your vote. Presumably the software is in good shape or we
wouldn't be performing a release.  Did you verify the checksums, the
GPG signatures? Are you sure that's really Andrew's key, and if so,
how? Did you run RAT against the release artifacts? Have you done
additional IP audit? Did you compare the commit hash of the tag with
the release tarball? Once you become a PMC, you'll be responsible for
complying with ASF policy and legal requirements around a release - we
already assume you are capable of releasing good software from a
technical perspective - so the concern is around ensuring that you are
performing due diligence to comply with the obligations that go along
with releases.

--David