jclouds-dev mailing list archives

From Everett Toews <everett.to...@RACKSPACE.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Switch the wiki to Confluence
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2014 14:56:19 GMT
I merged a PR to the jclouds site with updates to the wiki links [1]. But when I try to publish
the site I get the error

  svn: E175002: Server sent unexpected return value (413 Request Entity Too Large) in response
to REPORT request for '/repos/asf/!svn/me’

The change to the footer causes an update to every page but it’s still not that many files
really. Has anyone run into this before?

The ticket to remove the MoinMoin wiki has been created [2].

Everett

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/148

On Dec 1, 2014, at 4:50 PM, Everett Toews <everett.toews@rackspace.com> wrote:

> The migration is complete.
>
> I tried to clean up some pages here and there while I was doing the migration. Some notes:
>
> 1. Moved the Annotations page under Writing jclouds Code
> 2. Removed the Templating page under Writing jclouds Code as it’s been superseded by
AutoValue
> 3. Removed the Eclipse and Tools pages under Development Environment as they were empty
> 4. Created a Roadmap page and put Release Cadence and Deprecation and Beta Policy under
it
> 5. Did not move the actual content of the Roadmap page itself as it is no longer realistic
>
> Go to the sign up page [1] to get an account. Let us know your username (maybe try to
keep the same as you JIRA username?) and we’ll set you up with the proper permissions.

> Can someone look over it and check the work?
>
> I’ll create the INFRA ticket to delete the MoinMoin wiki on Friday.
>
> Thanks,
> Everett
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/signup.action
>

> On Nov 25, 2014, at 10:34 AM, Everett Toews <everett.toews@rackspace.com> wrote:
>
>> My MoinMoin account was disabled because I hadn’t made any recent changes. Apparently
2014-11-13 isn’t recent enough. I expect some of your accounts have been disabled too. Yet
another barrier to working with MoinMoin.

>> More timings:
>>
>> 33.3s for MoinMoin to save an edit
>> 32.5s for MoinMoin to save an edit
>> 31.0s for MoinMoin to save an edit
>>
>> 3.23 for Confluence to save an edit
>> 2.17 for Confluence to save an edit
>> 2.33 for Confluence to save an edit
>>
>> 31.4s for MoinMoin to create a page
>> 29.2s for MoinMoin to create a page
>> 29.4s for MoinMoin to create a page
>>
>> 3.47s for Confluence to create a page
>> 2.92s for Confluence to create a page
>> 3.43s for Confluence to create a page
>>
>> Confluence is roughly 10x faster than MoinMoin
>> It’s easier to use with many features for editing pages
>> Has broader adoption (220 ASF projects in Confluence vs 77 in MoinMoin)
>> Seems to be much more actively developed
>>
>> I see no reason to stay with MoinMoin. Let’s get back to a place where contributors
are actually willing and able to easily write contributor docs.

>> I’m going to reopen the vote.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Everett
>>

>> On Nov 24, 2014, at 9:16 PM, Everett Toews <everett.toews@rackspace.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The new space in Confluence has been created [1] and has the current users set
>>>
>>> Andrew Bayer
>>> Adrian Cole
>>> Andrew Phillips
>>> Chris Custine
>>> Everett Toews
>>>
>>> I tried to do some basic timing tests with MoinMoin but apparently I need to
reset my password. And that’s not working right now (I’ve opened an INFRA ticket).

>>> At this point, here’s what I know:
>>>
>>> 30.9s for MoinMoin to attempt a login
>>> 30.1s for MoinMoin to return from its password reset page
>>>
>>> 2.94s for Confluence to login
>>> 3.56s for Confluence to save a page
>>> 1.99s for Confluence to go into edit mode
>>>
>>> If anyone else is able to try it, please do. MoinMoin is so slow it’s unusable.
Adrian is sharing info in gists because it’s so slow. I’m not sure why we’re suffering
through this when we have a perfectly good alternative with Confluence. It’s quick and usable.
Most other ASF projects (220) use it and it’s in use at a multitude of orgs around the world.

>>> Everett
>>>
>>> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JCLOUDS

space added for us.  I tried adding Andrew Phillips as another space  admin (as PMC Chair)
but I couldn’t find his confluence ID.