jclouds-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Custine <chris.cust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] next release / roadmap
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2014 21:24:46 GMT
I agree 100% with Ignasi that the next release should be 1.9 as discussed a few months ago.

I am putting myself on the hook for the following tasks before 1.9 or whatever the next release
is called:
- Upgrade the HP Object Storage provider to the new Swift API provider, which has been a blocker
for finally removing the old swift provider.
- Finalizing the Digital Ocean v2 API provider for labs (which would benefit from the OAuth
promotion as Ignasi mentioned)
- Review of any GCE PRs/fixes and migration

There is definitely a lot of work to be done, in addition to the inevitable holiday time suck,
so I can’t see us doing a release by end of year.  My personal experience is that early
January brings inspiration and more plentiful energy to make progress on these things, but
we certainly can move forward at our best pace in the mean time.

Thanks,
Chris
--
Chris Custine

From: Ignasi Barrera <nacx@apache.org>
Reply: dev@jclouds.apache.org <dev@jclouds.apache.org>>
Date: December 10, 2014 at 2:30:42 PM
To: dev@jclouds.apache.org <dev@jclouds.apache.org>>
Subject:  Re: [DISCUSS] next release / roadmap

In my opinion, the next release should be a 1.9.0, containing the
changes that "prepare" jclouds for the next major release. It is a
"fix our broken windows" release, as it will ship the complete
de-async stuff, it will remove several obsolete providers, and it will
promote others.

This is the must-have list (in my opinion) for 1.9.0:

* Fix all AWS live tests. (JCLOUDS-462 [1] and JCLOUDS-775 [2])
* Support AWS signature version 4. (JCLOUDS-480 [3])
* Remove the old Swift provider.
* Promote the OAuth API. It is now used only by GCE but if I'm not
wrong it will be used by the DigitalOcean v2 api too.
* Promote Google Compute Engine.
- Fix all failing live tests (there are not many).
- Remove its SecurityGroupExtension, as the current implementation
and how firewalls work in GCE is not aligned with how the SGE works.
* Support Docker 1.3.2 (Complete the corresponding PR [4])
* Finish fixing the pom.xml inheritance in all repos. (JCLOUDS-104 [5])
* Study the uses of the Apache HttpClient driver and consider
migrating to the OkHttp one. The output of this task should be a plan
to upgrade or remove the Apache HC driver.

In that release, we should make sure that all live tests pass for the
major providers:

* AWS
* Rackspace
* Google
* Azureblob (and ideally compute, despite being in labs)

Regarding the timing, I think we are not yet in a good position to set
a hard (or even soft) date. We'd better first come up with the TODO
list, and hopefully distribute the work so we can all work together to
make that release happen, even if that means getting out of our
comfort area (or comfort providers).

Ignasi

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-462
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-775
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-480
[4] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs/pull/113
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-104

On 8 December 2014 at 21:05, Zack Shoylev <zack.shoylev@rackspace.com> wrote:
> I wanted to start a discussion about getting the next release done. Here are some questions
that we should discuss. Feel free to add more (what am I missing here?). This will also help
us get on the same page.