jclouds-dev mailing list archives

From Zack Shoylev <zack.shoy...@RACKSPACE.COM>
Subject Re: COMMERCIAL:jclouds 1.9.1 and provider promotion
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2015 14:43:19 GMT
We should try to release 1.9.1 asap.
As for content, it should also include the autovalue updates and some of the blobstore multipart
fixes (do we need to discuss the MPU more?).

From: Ignasi Barrera <nacx@apache.org>
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 5:34 AM
To: dev@jclouds.apache.org
Subject: COMMERCIAL:jclouds 1.9.1 and provider promotion

Hi!

It's been a while since our last release and I'd like to start
planning jclouds 1.9.1. Many bugfixes have been introduced and there
are several providers that have been improved a lot, including GCE,
DigitalOcean, Azure and ProfitBricks.

Before talking about dates, I'd like to share the important topics
(IMO) that should be finished for 1.9.1:

* Merge the ProfitBrixks ComputeService integration [1].
* Complete the Azure Compute refactor [2, 3]. There is an ongoing
effort to improve how virtual machines are created but it is moving
slowly. @andreaturli, @ilrtosso, once the PRs are up to date, would
you be able to help reviewing them?
* Merge the DigitalOcean v2 provider [4, 5]. There is still no PR, for
it but the provider is ready to go.

Considering that we are in time to finish this, we'll be in a good
position to promote the following providers (only in master, for
2.0.0), as they'll have been out there for a while with the live tests
passing:

* GCE. I plan to promote it this week.
* Azure. It's been out since 1.9.0 and will remain in labs after the
compute service refactoring. Should be ready to be promoted for 2.0.0.
* Profitbricks. Same thing. @devcsrj is doing a fantastic job keeping
it up to date and having it working for in 1.9.1 with all live tests
passing gives us and our users enough time to test and get used to it.
I see no reason to keep it in labs.
* DigitalOcean v2. Same thing. The v1 API has been stable for ages but
will be shutdown on November 2015. We shouldn't promote it but promote
the v2 for 2.0.0. It's also stable and the interface hasn't changed.
The internals are different (different api calls) but the behavior,
the results, are the same, so users using the ComputeService shouldn't
experience any change.

Please, feel free to give your feedback, add what you would want to
see in 1.9.1. Your opinions are very welcome!

Ignasi

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs/pull/145
[2] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs/pull/175
[3] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs/pull/157