jclouds-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Azure ARM vs classic
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:37:24 GMT
On 11/12/2015 11:18, Andrea Turli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently we are struggling to have a good jclouds-azurecompute api to be
> promoted to jclouds/jclouds.
> I've noticed that MS suggests now to use (and/or switch) to ARM (Azure
> Resource Manager) and they have marked the previous API (and also the
> console) with `classic` label.
>
> I don't know if `classic` will be deprecated soon, but it seems sensible to
> consider the switch to ARM: those API are json based which will
> considerably reduce the glitches due to xml we are facing since the
> beginning and they introduce a stronger network model (port ranges w/t
> limitations and security groups etc) which look a step in the right
> direction.
>
> Thoughts?

While I confirm that it seems that ARM is the future, I also believe
that the classic API is not likely to disappear soon.

I'd propose then to not consider ARM for promoting jclouds-azurecompute,
but to open an issue on JIRA right now for adding the ARM support there
(or to start a brand new provider, don't know which alternative fits
better).

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC, CXF committer
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/