jclouds-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Phillips <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Support for VMware vCloud Director
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2013 00:45:08 GMT
> I would be most grateful for some guidance in how to go about using
> jclouds to talk "directly" to VMware's VCD.

You should be able to instantiate a context using the "plain"
'vcloud-director' API, setting (at minimum) the "endpoint" property
for your target installation:

Properties overrides = new Properties();
overrides.setProperty(..., ...);
overrides.setProperty(..., ...);

ComputeServiceContext context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("vcloud-director")
   .endpoint("https://your-vloud-ip-or-host/api")
   .credentials("user@org", "password")
   //.overrides(overrides) - only if needed
   .buildView(ComputeServiceContext.class);

computeService = context.getComputeService();
// do something with the compute service

You can see some of the properties you can specific via the overrides
in the API metadata [1]. You'll notice that providers using the vCloud
Director API, such as Carrenza, effectively do just that in their
provider metadata [2].

What I don't know, however, is whether or how Whirr allows you to
specify a context such as this one. One of the Whirr-savvy members of
the list will hopefully be able to help out here!

ap

[1]
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs/blob/master/vcloud-director/src/main/java/org/jclouds/vcloud/director/v1_5/VCloudDirectorApiMetadata.java#L59
[2]