jclouds-user mailing list archives

From Paul Bell <arach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support for VMware vCloud Director
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 19:19:32 GMT
Hi again,

Making some progress now.

The "not wrappable as org.jclouds.compute.ComputeServiceContext" error that
I previously mentioned continues to occur. About this I discovered the
following:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jclouds-user/201309.mbox/%3c5228A784.3090606@gmail.com%3e

I think this is saying that the ComputeService implementation for VCD is
not yet finished. What does this mean? For example, per Andrew's
observation re using a provider-specific approach, am I presently
constrained to just such an approach? If so, then won't my code - at least
for the time being - be limited to a single provider (VCD)?

The comment in the mail archives indicates that, because the VCD domain
model is implemented, it's now possible to drive the underlying VCD REST
API via Java. But this capability was already present in the VMware Java
API for VCD.

Another question: if I am presently constrained to provider-specific API,
then will the first link that Andrew posted (MainApp.java) help me? That
is, it seems to deal in the nice jclouds abstractions, like "portable
views." But, unless I am sorely mistaken (always possible!), I don't
presently have access to these abstractions for VCD.

That said, I will quite happily study that code to learn more of the
jclouds idiom. But my immediate need is the ability to:

a. create one or more vApps, each consisting of one or more VMs.
b. deploy thereon an OVA/OVF
c. configure application specific stuff on these VMs
d. start them up

Again, thank you for your help & light.

Cordially,

Paul