jclouds-user mailing list archives

From Everett Toews <everett.to...@RACKSPACE.COM>
Subject Re: Using Floating IPs
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2014 18:01:44 GMT
On Feb 17, 2014, at 11:04 AM, Jeremy Daggett <jeremy.daggett@gmail.com> wrote:

> Upon further investigation, it looks like the path forward would be to keep the "allocateFromPool()"
method in the FloatingIPApi[1]. My opinion is that we should deprecate "create()" [2] and
make "allocateFromPool()" the default.

I don’t think create() should be deprecated.

Allocate Floating IP [1] says, “This operation does not require a request body.”

Floating IPs [2] for POST v2/​{tenant_id}​/os-floating-ips says, "pool (Optional)”

Further investigation needs to be done before considering deprecating create().

It’s also weird to me that a user needs to know what pool they’re allocating from. The
pool param seems like an implementation detail. In most cases the user simply isn’t going
to care. They just want a Floating IP.

Regards,
Everett

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/2/content/POST_os-floating-ips-v2_AllocateFloatingIP_v2__tenant_id__os-floating-ips_ext-os-floating-ips.html