jclouds-user mailing list archives

From Simon Hildrew <simon.hild...@theguardian.com>
Subject Re: Security group listing on nova slow
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2014 19:10:54 GMT
On 3 February 2014 21:01, Simon Hildrew <simon.hildrew@theguardian.com>wrote:

> On 3 February 2014 20:51, Andrew Phillips <andrewp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Making a call to listSecurityGroupsInLocation and passing in the single
>>> zone I'm interested in has made no difference - it is still making the
>>> underlying call to the API many many times before the jclouds API call
>>> returns. It is always exactly 92 calls to the underlying API
>>>

>> Does this include things like authentication calls, or is this the
>> "straight" call for security groups? If so, is there any obvious variation
>> in parameters or other request characteristics? Or is it literally always
>> the same call?
>>

> There are two other calls to start with - one to keystone to auth and then
> another to get the extensions in order to locate the security group
> endpoint. The following 92 calls are always identical and get an identical
> response each time (as observed via both tcpdump and today using the
> jclouds.wire logging). It's really odd behaviour!
>

>> Hopefully, one of the OpenStack experts on the list can shed more light
>> on where these might be coming from.
>>

> That would be great - I'm happy to post some of my logs or carry out any
> experiments that might help shed more light. The problem seems to be worse
> in some region / tenants than others so I'm going to try the same
> experiment in some other places tomorrow and see if there is a pattern.

I've been continuing to try and shed more light on this, but have been
super busy with other things over the last fortnight.

I think I may have worked out what the root cause of the behaviour I'm
seeing is, although I see no simple solution and would love some advice
from the OpenStack experts.

The initial list happens in one go. But in
the NovaSecurityGroupToSecurityGroup class they make calls to transform
each openstack SecurityGroupRule into a JClouds IpPermission object. This
is done in the SecurityGroupRuleToIpPermission class, which takes
a Predicate<AtomicReference<ZoneAndName>> and the supplied predicate is
called for every transformation that occurs in which the source is another
security group instead of a CIDR. The implementation of the predicate is
FindSecurityGroupWithNameAndReturnTrue - which makes an API request for the
list of security groups in a zone and then returns true if the supplied
reference is in the newly obtained list. The API call is made regardless of
whether it is the same zone or not.

In the particular zone I'm querying, there are a large number of rules (60)
that reference other security groups (all in the same zone). This doesn't
account for the now 111 calls for exactly the same request - but it does
account for more than half of them. I think there must be another
transformation that also uses the predicate (I'd carry on looking but it's
past time for me to go home).

Part of me wonders whether I should use the NovaApi directly and do the
translation myself.

As always, any help or thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks,
Simon

Visit theguardian.com

On your mobile, download the Guardian iPhone app theguardian.com/iphone and our iPad edition
theguardian.com/iPad
Save up to 57% by subscribing to the Guardian and Observer - choose the papers you want and
get full digital access.
Visit subscribe.theguardian.com

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited

A member of Guardian Media Group plc
Registered Office
PO Box 68164