jclouds-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Phillips <andr...@apache.org>
Subject RE: blob storage provider for Google?
Date Tue, 27 May 2014 23:00:56 GMT
> I don't understand the distinction made between "documents" and
> "blobs" though. The entities uploaded to Google Drive can be up to
> 1TB (or 1TiB?) in size, so I'd think that qualifies as large. They
> certainly are binaries.

Then the comments may just have been reflecting inexperience with
Google Drive ;-) I think the point was that there are some things
users of "textual data storage systems" expect that a typical "binary
data store" would not provide: indexing, searching etc. etc.

But, in any case, that functionality is typically a *superset* of what
a binary data store offers. So implementing a binary data store API on
top of a "textual data store" shouldn't be a problem. And, if I'm
understanding you correctly, it may be more accurate to regard Drive
as a binary data store in the first place.

You may want to check on the progress of any work in this area,
though. I not sure if anything concrete is happening or has even been
planned.

Of course, any offers to contribute are much appreciated ;-)

ap