jclouds-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Phillips <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Java 6 support
Date Thu, 29 May 2014 05:26:05 GMT
> s presently supports Java 6, 7, and 8 which imposes extra
> development costs and prevents uptake of new language and library
> features including try-with-resources, NIO.2, and HTTP client
> improvements.  Oracle ceased public updates to Java 6 in early 2013[1]
> and jclouds could use this to guide its support strategy.  The jclouds
> developers would like to understand how many users continue to use Java
> 6 and what prevents upgrading to newer versions.

A slightly tangential bit of input: we (day job) have just made Java 7
a requirement for the latest version of our products ;-), and from the
resulting discussions with users it's clear that there are plenty of
companies out that that have no plans to move to Java 7 as standard
any time soon (motivated, in at least a couple of the cases, by Red
Hat's continued support for Java 6[1]).

This is slightly tangential because these companies are not directly
developing on top of jclouds as far as I know, but they may well be
using it as part of other stuff they have installed.

ap

[1]
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/press-archive/2013/3/red-hat-reinforces-java-commitment