jclouds-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Phillips <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AWS-EC2: Why are security groups & subnets mutually exclusive?
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2014 21:48:55 GMT
Hi Yaron

>> "To create nodes in a subnet under Amazon VPC add the following option to
>> your template options. Note that VPCs and Security Groups are mutually
>> exclusive."
>>
>> Why?

 From what I understand, "Security Groups" here refers to the
"classic" security groups that are referred to as "EC2-Classic" in the
AWS docs. These state, for example:

"You can't specify a security group that you created for a VPC when
you launch an instance in EC2-Classic." and "You can't specify a
security group that you created for EC2-Classic when you launch an
instance in a VPC." [1]

You should be able to specify the security groups *in your VPC* by
using the securityGroupIds template builder option on
AWSEC2TemplateOptions [2] (rather than the securityGroups option
which, if I recall correctly, selects the old-style groups).

See also this thread [3].

Regards

ap

[1]