jclouds-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about JCLOUDS-658 Jira issue
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2014 02:24:33 GMT
Hi, Gabriel. I'll give you one set of answers. Maybe you'll get another :)

> - Is the filesystem API considered "production" safe or only suggested for
> testing/debugging?
Put a gun to my head, and I'd say no. For example, it is unsafe to run
multithreaded as there are race conditions in the impl [1]. Also, it
only runs a subset our our existing integration tests. [2]  Production
means something different for different people, but I wouldn't suggest
it for production.
>      - Could an alternate way of storing metadata be implemented, for
> example in a properties file named <id>.metadata stored alongside
> with the object file?
Yeah I've seen this approach in the past, and that would certainly be
more portable.
> - I could implement a file metadata storage by wrapping
> FilesystemStorageStrategyImpl, but I don't think this is a good idea to
> wrap it as I have to re-implement a few classes to have the dependency
> injection work correctly.
Perhaps there's a way to isolate the metadata aspect. Personally, I
would raise a Jira [3] asking to remove the requirement of extended
attributes.

-A

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/blob/master/apis/filesystem/src/main/java/org/jclouds/filesystem/strategy/internal/FilesystemStorageStrategyImpl.java
[2] partially implemented
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/tree/master/apis/filesystem/src/test/java/org/jclouds/filesystem/integration
vs https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/tree/master/blobstore/src/test/java/org/jclouds/blobstore/integration/internal
(conceding blob signing or public acl are not relevant)
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS