jena-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dont' fork the dev lists (Re: I wish to contribute a new tdb example)
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 14:18:38 GMT
Re example rather than code - sure that makes sense. It does emphasise need to migrate users
quickly and sensibly though.

I withdraw my -1 and make it a -0 (I'd rather see the discussion on asf lists with pointers
from other lists, but you are right - small steps when appropriate)

Sent from my mobile device.

On 7 Dec 2010, at 11:49, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:

> but that still leaves a lot of people receing email.
>
> On 07/12/10 10:41, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> Ross -

>>> Jena was small there was only one list, and that became the one all the
>>> user questions were on so).
>>>
>>> As we discussed, we'll migrate the user lists but it will be a slow
>>> process during which we'll have two active lists for quite some time.
>>>
>>> jena-devel@lists.sf.net was the developers list.
>>
>> Wow - that's confusing ;-)
>>
>>> jena-dev@incubator.apache.org is the developers list.
>>>
>>> jena-users@incubator.apache.org wil be the users list.
>>
>> -1
>>
>> jena-users@incubator.apache.org *is* the users list
>
> The current user list has 3090 members, many/most of which are read-on-web or no-email,
because you have to subscribe to send email. Add some factor for active users and it's still
non-trivial.

> Migration is not going to happen swiftly and we can't just say "don't email here, email
there".

>>> I suggested Matthew send it to the current jena users list because it's
>>> active and mayeb we'll get more suggestions.
>>>
>>> We haven't even discussed the mechanics of how we might migrate the user
>>> list in detail.
>>
>> Time to do so then (see below)
>>
>>> We haven't got the project infrastructure running at Apache yet, and
>>> don't know how to accept something submitted and I didn't want Matthews
>>> contribution to get bogged down.
>>
>> Accepting such a donation in your old home will only make more paperwork
>> for everyone when moving it here (unless this contributor happens to
>> already be on your list of iCLAs needed).
>
> Yes - I hope that he will add it JIRA as well to make the ASF legal framework apply.
>
> The contribution is example(s), not code for the core system. I judged it better to get
it in front of as many users as possible.